New York Family Law Attorney

The Steward Law Firm Can Help You Get Visitation Rights for Your Children

If you are a custodial or noncustodial parent who needs legal assistance concerning the matter of visitation rights to your child or children in New York, you will need a competent lawyer who is well-versed in the laws and procedures.

Visitation Rights in New York

Biological parents aren’t the only people who can seek visitation rights through the New York Courts. Family members who are close to the children may also ask for visitation. This includes:

Currently, other non-parent parties, such as aunts, uncles, stepparents, cousins, or former gay or lesbian partners are not able to get visitation rights.

How Can I Get Visitation Rights?

The noncustodial parent, who does not have physical custody of the children, generally gets visitation rights unless there is a valid reason why he or she should not. Courts favor frequent and meaningful contact with noncustodial parents for the children of couples who are separated, divorced, or have never been married.

Visitation schedules can be worked out which will allow the noncustodial parent to remain in contact with his or her child. Visitation rights are only denied if it is considered to be harmful to the child. In cases of a history of domestic abuse by a noncustodial parent, only supervised visits with a children or children may be allowed by the courts.

How Can I Modify Visitation Rights?

There are many cases in which one parent wishes to alter the current visitation schedule. Some parents try to resolve the issue without the court, but it is best to go through the legal process, as the custodial parent could decide not to honor the agreement in the future.

If you want to modify the terms of your visitation, you can petition the court and prove that a change in circumstances calls for the original order to be changed. Likewise, you can seek to have your visitation schedule altered or enforced if the other parent is interfering with the court’s orders.

Contact Our Firm for More Information

If you need to seek visitation rights or change the visitation rights regarding your child or children, you should not hesitate to enlist the Steward Law Firm who will make every effort to achieve the case results you seek.

We advise you to contact our firm to arrange a consultation with our attorney to discuss your particular situation and to get the legal guidance you need. We can provide up to date and comprehensive legal support.

Call us at (347) 913-6440 to speak to a seasoned attorney.